Saturday, December 1, 2012

Personal Hygiene - The Truth Behind Hair, Skin, and Oral Products

   

  Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate 
Polyethelyne Glycol
Propylene Glycol
Thymol
Cetylpyridinium Chloride
Methylparaben

Do you know what these are? If not, continue reading to find out what you are using for "personal hygiene" that come from hair products, skin products, and mouth products.


     Okay, so if you haven't gotten the memo, this blog entry is about external hygiene products. And I know you're probably thinking, "FINALLY, an entry about something other than eating healthy!" But see, the thing is, personal health and wellness extends beyond food - it includes these external products as well. 
     Unfortunately, there are just so many products out there - food and hygiene - that contain harmful ingredients that we don't know about. It's not that most of us KNOW about these chemical ingredients in our products and then choose to ignore them...it's really that we haven't been educated and informed about them! And no, I'm not saying you need to go all-natural and organic (okay, I have to admit that I have, but that doesn't mean that you necessarily have to, too, if you don't want) or anything. BUT, my goal out of this entry is for your eyes to be opened to the reality that your hygiene products may not be the safest.
     
     So we all know the popular shampoo brands such as Pantene, Fructis, and Herbal Essence, the skin products such as Cetaphil and Clinique, the deodorant products such as Secret and Suave, the lip products such as Carmex and Lipsmacker, aaaaand the mouth products such as Crest and Oral-B. However, have you ever looked at the ingredients? I know, weird. Most people don't pay attention to the ingredients because come on, it's shampoo, face wash, deodorant and toothpaste! It's not like you're eating the stuff, so what's the big deal? That, however, is the common misconception. Yes, you may not be ingesting it, but these chemicals ARE absorbed through your skin, swallowed, accidentally rubbed in the eyes, and so on. 
     Am I calling these brands bad? No, but am I trying to highlight the fact that some of the ingredients used in their products are in some ways? Yes. For example, the sulfates - sodium lauryl, ammonium lauryl, and ammonium laureth - aren't necessarily the greatest of products. Studies have shown that Sodium lauryl sulfate, unfortunately, is linked to organ toxicity, irritation, and mutations. Taken from articles.mercola.com, though, it's not so much the one-time use of a product that can cause these things, but rather "it's the gradual, cumulative effects of long-term, repeated exposures that are the real concern." And that is exactly right. Again, the problem isn't the one-time use, but the long-term use. 
    Let's discuss parabens. In my opinion, parabens even sound scary. Livestrong.com used a quote as well from Mercola.com that said: "Parabens can mimic hormones in the body and disrupt functions of the endocrine system." There was also a study conducted in 2004 that linked parabens to breast cancer. Please note once again that all of these chemicals do not harm people in small amounts but in large amounts. The problem is that if you consider the amounts of these chemicals, whether through shampoo, skin products, and so on that we use daily, weekly, monthly and yearly, these chemicals are being used in rather large amounts.
    Also, let me tell you about Plyethylene glycol. Let me say it right out in front - According to nlm.nih.gov, large amounts can cause diarrhea. It can also cause skin toxicity, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain. What? I know.  
    I would continue listing the various chemicals and health concerns they bring but I think all of you get the point. Even though I'm not yelling at y'all to go "all natural and organic," I do hope that this blog really did switch on some lights and make you all think. To be honest, even though I don't "feel better" by using pure and organic products, let me say two things: 1) In all honesty, my skin is clearing up. 2) I know that I am going the safest route and protecting myself more from diseases and potential toxins.
    Ah, and to answer the "all-natural and organic question" that some of you may be thinking...
When I say that, I am talking about products without the use of harsh and dangerous chemicals. Safe brands to use are:
Shampoo - Avalon, Nature's Gate, Kiss My Face, Aloe 80 Organics
Body Wash - Aloe 80 Organics, Jasön, Alba
Lotion - Dr. Bronner's Magic, Nature's Gate, Avalon
Deodorant - Toms, Lafes, Nature's Gate
Chapstick - Dr. Bronner's Magic, Alba, Kiss My Face
Toothpaste - Jasön, Nature's Gate, Miessence
Mouthwash - Jasön, Riddell's Creek Organic, Toms


~Caroline 

sources: www.goodguide.com, livestrong.com, nlm.nih.gov, mercola.com, ewg.org 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment