You've seen at the grocery stores, on TV, in the newspaper, and on the internet that "this" or "that" certain product is "Certified Organic." Why should I go organic? Are there any health hazards for which I should be on the lookout? In this entry, I'm going to try to answer some of these questions to the best of my ability. Let this health journey continue!
Several Reasons to Go Organic
First off, let me begin by defining the word "organic." According to Organic.org, "simply stated, organic produce and other ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation. Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products do not take antibiotics or growth hormones." Therefore, the food that you buy at the store that is "organic" is real, live, and fresh...basically it's the naturally grown foods.
Sooo, here are the reasons to go organic.
1) You see that I have underlined the phrase "genetically modified organisms" up above. If you've never seen or heard of this phrase before, this is basically what it means. Www.ornl.gov states that genetic modification
hese chemicals are designed to kill other forms of life and you may very well be eating them." And this is totally true!
3) Going organic especially pertains to dairy. Conventional farmers inject their livestock with hormones and antibiotics to produce more dairy, fatten them up, and protect them from sickness. But how do these additives harm us, the consumers? a) Studies have shown that these antibiotics could potentially cause various types of cancer. b) Less toxins c) Non-organic milk is chemically and nutritionally different from organic milk d) No rBGH -- a genetically modified replication of the naturally-occurring hormone in cows. rBGH is contaminated and can make cows sick. EW!
4) Organic foods taste better and are better for you. They are not genetically modified nor sprayed with pesticides, herbicides, etc. They are in their natural "element" and that is how they should be!
5) Lastly, organic foods really DO help you lose weight. Why? Read this. Livestrong.com clearly says that "the chemicals in non-organic foods can disrupt the endocrine system. One type of chemical called obesogens disrupts the function of human hormonal systems, leading to weight gain." Therefore, if you want to lose weight, go organic!
Additionally, the up-top healthy people have devised a list of foods to ALWAYS buy organic. They call it the Dirty Dozen. Here ya go (plus a few more):
3) Sweet Bell Peppers
9) Imported Grapes
13) Domestic Blueberries
14) Kale, collards, and leafy greens
Clearly, buying organic groceries is the way to go. Despite the extra dollars, buying organic foods keeps you healthy, doesn't mess with your body, and they taste amazing and nutritious. Thanks for reading! Hope you all enjoyed this one. I definitely enjoyed writing it up! And I hope that this went straight from my heart to yours. ~Caroline